It was Ms. Nat's birthday and I thought it was a great excuse for me to bake. The last time I baked was when the cake took 3 days to finish! Ms. Nat wanted hummingbird cake, so she got just that. Instead of the usual large cake, I decided to make cupcakes, it's cuter too!
I used the recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook but as usual, modified it according to my taste.
To make 34 cupcakes, I used the following proportions:
- 450g caster sugar
- 4 extra large free range eggs (room temperature)
- 450ml sunflower oil
- 400g peeled super ripe bananas, mashed (approximately 5 large bananas)
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 430g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g tinned crushed pineapple, remove syrup
- 250g shelled pecans and walnuts, roughly chopped
- 34 paper cups
- muffin tray
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- Put the sugar, eggs, oil, banana and cinnamon in large mixing bowl - mix with wooden spoon until ingredients are well combined
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and vanilla extract and continue to mix with wooden spoon until everything is well mixed.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple, pecans and walnut until evenly dispersed.
- Spoon mixture into paper cups 3/4 full and place into muffin tray
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tray and place on wire cooling rack to cool completely
- Once cooled completely, ice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 600g pure icing sugar, sifted
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 250g cold cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together until it's well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated.
- Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
- Do not overbeat as it can quickly become runny
- Place frosting into piping bag with the desired piping tip
- Ice cupcakes