|Wholemeal Mixed Berry Muffins|
I ransacked my pantry and found some wholemeal plain flour that I had totally forgotten about. What better than to make some wholemeal muffins, I thought. So I did. This recipe is adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery's Blueberry Muffin recipe. It's more like a fluffy muffin than the conventional denser ones.
So how did I modify the original recipe?
- Reduced the sugar by 100gs
- Used beurre noisette instead of just melted unsalted butter
- Replaced plain flour with wholemeal flour
- Used frozen mixed berries instead of just blueberries
- Sprinkled some raw sugar before sending them into the oven
The result is a moist fluffy mixed berry muffin!
Although the original recipe asks to use the electric mixer, I have successfully made many variations of this recipe without an electric mixer - and just mixing everything by hand. All you need are the ingredients, 1 jug, 1 large mixing bowl, 1 wooden mixing spoon and a shallow pan. Here is the recipe:
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins)
- 360g wholemeal flour
- 270g castor sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp bicarb of soda
- 375ml buttermilk (if you do not have buttermilk, add 1 1/2tsb white vinegar to 375ml full fat milk and leave it for 10mins before use. The milk will slightly curdle and resemble buttermilk)
- 1 egg
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 70g beurre noisette made from unsalted butter
- 250g frozen mixed berries
- some raw sugar
- To make beurre noisette: Melt unsalted butter in a shallow pan over low heat until the milk solids becomes darker in colour and gives out a nutty hazelnut aroma. Note: The butterfat and milk solids will separate during this process. The butterfat will float to the top, discard that and only use the milk solids. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, place wholemeal flour, salt, baking powder and bicarb of soda together and use a wooden mixing spoon to mix the dry ingredients together
- In a jug, place egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Slowly pour this mixture into the dry ingredients above and mix until well incorporated
- Add beurre noisette into the mixture above and mix until the muffin mixture is even and smooth
- Gently fold in the frozen berries until evenly dispersed
- Spoon the mixture above into muffin paper cases until 2/3 full
- Sprinkle some raw sugar on the muffin mixture
- Bake for 20-25mins (or until golden brown/ready) in a preheated oven of 170deg
- When cooked, remove muffins from oven and allow to cool completely
The perfect breakfast, morning tea, afternoon tea or midnight snack! Freeze them if you made more than you could eat. Zapp the frozen muffins in the microwave oven on high for 1 min to refresh them and enjoy this delicious berry muffin any time, any day. Try this recipe and let me know what you think of it.